Are you interested in taking just a few classes at UNM? You are in the correct place. As long as you are maintaining your non-immigrant visa, you can take a class or two as a non-degree student for academic credit without being admitted to a degree-granting program at UNM. This is a great way to try a subject before applying to a program, to learn some new skills, or just for fun!
Before you apply, review information for Non-Degree Students
Please Note: Students in Non-Degree status are not eligible to receive UNM scholarships. For current tuition rates, see The Bursar’s Office.
Students without a bachelor's degree: You must be either at least 21 years old OR have graduated from a recognized high school at least one year ago.
You may apply up to 30 credit hours in non-degree study to a future UNM undergraduate program. All credits you earn will be recorded on a UNM permanent record (transcript) and may be used when transferring to an undergraduate program if the courses meet the degree requirements. Students without a bachelor’s degree will not be allowed to take graduate (500 level courses or higher) without the permission from the academic program offering the course.
Students with a bachelor's degree: There is no limit to the number of undergraduate courses taken, and students may enroll in graduate-level courses. Ggraduate-level credit taken in non-degree status may be applied toward a graduate program – check with your prospective academic department for more details.
- Review your eligibility for non-degree status as noted above
- Complete a non-degree application, including submitting the application fee. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing.
- Previous transcripts are not required to enroll as a non-degree student. However, you will need to submit them if any of your UNM courses have prerequisites.
- After your application has been processed, the Office of International Admissions will reach out with instructions to register for classes. You can also meet with an academic advisor to help select classes.
What is my tuition rate?
What restrictions are there?
The following students are ineligible to enroll as non-degree:
- You are currently under suspension from UNM or any other institution.
- You have exhausted your eligibility in University College and are not academically eligible to enter a degree-granting college at UNM.
- You were previously an undergraduate student at UNM and have not completed an associate's or bachelor's degree.
- You have been refused admission to degree-seeking status.